Saturday 19 November 2016

Could we have your details please

Over London during last year's trip to my sister
I usually book my flights through the main website of the company I fly with, but for my trip to London, those flights would be a bit too expensive and cumbersome. So, I went instead with a local company who offers direct flights to London in November and December. Great, so far so good.

Usually after booking, I pay. Immediately. Using a credit card. This time around I got an email confirming my reservation and 'that I would get a bill soon'. Okay. Fine. Until last night.

Last night I got a phone call from the company who organises these flights. If I could just give them my card details and then it would be all paid. And I was like: what? According to the girl on the other side, they always did that. Well, not with me they don't!

All the horror stories you keep hearing about strange emails and phone calls and do not reply and do not comply and such and they phone me for my details? I think they were the real deal, but I was having none of it. I will pay online thank you very much and I will not do anything like that over the phone without any verification of their being who they claim to be.

14 comments:

  1. Oh goodness Mara thank goodness you were alert and quick to think. I don't blame you one bit. I will not give my card to anyone who calls me with a 'story'...especially when I did not call them. Got a call this am from some once saying they were calling from Windows. I cut him off mid sentence!
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    YIKES... well the other thing to do is to enquire of a travel agent if they are familiar with the company - and then call them back yourself. Here in UK we can look up companies (https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company) so I wonder if Nor-Gov has similar? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was familiar with the company, but still think it is strange they would call me for my details. I got the bill today and paid it, no problem!

      Ah well, let's see how the flight itself goes.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      fair enough and you did absolutely the right thing. Dad's neighbour last week had a call from 'her bank' wanting her to check something on her computer... at 83 and hard of hearing, she also has much difficulty in saying NO to folks... but she was quite proud of herself for realising this was probably not her bank at all and told him she would come into the branch with her laptop so they could help her directly... and he hung up on her - which has gotta be a first!!! Yxx

      Delete
    3. Ooh, that was quick thinking of her!

      Delete
  3. Even if they are the real deal that's a strange way to do business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this day and age ya gotta be careful!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, you do have to be careful and I think I would have done the same thing! It does sound a little odd that you didn't have to pay when you booked the flight. I'm sure everything will be fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are soooo good to catch this! We get calls all the time that are obviously scams.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often get calls fortunately, but still. I hear the horror stories about people who do and then loose all their money.

      Delete
  7. I would also hear alarm bells ringing ! I pay online and that's it ! Or in the travel agency with my card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was probably okay, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you. Smart choice!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!