Monday 8 August 2016

A little bit of this and a little bit of that, a little bit of sis and a bit of so

A lovely exception a few weeks ago
All my Dutch readers are by now of course humming, but for those of you are not Dutch, don't worry. It's not you, it's me! Anyway...

Summer in Norway. Those beautiful long summer days that last well into the evening and in some parts into the night and beyond. Long treks into the mountains. Fishing both in the sea and the many lakes. Before the summer I heard one of the weather people say it was going to be a warm(ish) summer. But wet. I wish that weather person had been wrong. Because boy, has it been wet and there is still no end in sight!

Which meant that yesterday's cycle training was not. Partly because of the weather: a lot of wind and a bit of rain. Partly because I felt my legs for some reason. But mainly because I didn't want to. I just didn't. And I felt I was completely entitled to just sit on the couch and watch others do sports. 

Not olympic. At all!
Like fencing. And archery. A bit of swimming, which confused me somewhat. And cycling. The women's road race. Where the Dutch girl Annemieke van Vleuten was in a winning position, before having such an ugly fall, there was no way she could win (she ended up in hospital). The girl in second position had the best name and I was rooting for her (Mara Abbott from the USA), all the way until another Dutch girl came flying past her in the last few meters and won. I must have screamed the house down! Well done Anna van der Breggen. Mara ended in the most horrid of places: fourth. 

Back to my training progress. Last week has been both good and bad. The swimming was great, I managed to swim without too many stops (lap one: twice, lap two: once). The walking a day later went fine as well, apart from the discomfort in my knees, especially my left. I know of course that having this bit of extra weight to lug about is not good for the knees, so today I bought me some knee protectors. Hopefully they do enough of a trick to help me be more comfortable. I also bought some wrist protectors. When cycling, my wrists really start to bother me after a while and I hope that the protectors will ease that as well. 

Other than that, nothing much. There you have it. 

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh yes, that crash was so fast and so fierce and I was aghast - as were the commentators. Just horrid. Haven't heard any updates other than she was conscious - but am pretty sure she's not on a bike again for some time. If ever. There have been other nasty falls on that hill too. Think there will be complaints... What with the rowing being called off due to wind and the divers struggling with the outside facility (cold and wet - I kid you not)... the table tennis and the fencing and the weight lifting... oh my word - have hardly slept a wink since the marvellous 'green' opening ceremony!!! Don't let them daunt you though Mara - slow and steady and cross the line - that's all that's required. Don't even get me started on weather - needed to put the heating on last evening!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was conscious and she was disappointed. I think she has some hairline fractures and something bruised/sprained.

      Delete
  2. Yay, for your countrywoman!

    You are in it for the long haul remember. It's not about any one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not. Fortunately, since today (swim training usually), the weather is atrocious: hard winds, lots of rain, COLD!

      Delete
  3. CRIKEY ... I sure hope the knee protectors help. How good was Anna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was brilliant. I was rooting for Mara (couldn't help it), but when Anna got closer...

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched one little bit of the O's yet.

    We have had only about 50% of normal rain for 4 months. Our local river is lower than I've ever seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so hooked on the Olympics. Watching it on TV whilst I have another sport showing on the computer. It was 3am before I went to bed today watching tennis with one eye and swimming with the other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been watching on and off but did not see the cycling accident. Some reports are she has a fractured back. Hope for a speedy recovery for her. Knee & wrists braces should help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there were some hairline fractures. Either way, she will be out of the running for a while yet!

      Delete
  7. Mom says don't worry abut being anyone elses best other than your own! Carry on!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I am planning to come last! Somebody has to and it might as well be me!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!