Saturday 23 July 2016

Gone fishing

I got a text message last night. Whether I would like to come fishing today? My plan had been to go out and see whether the raspberries were ripe, but I could change my plan. So yes, count me in!

Puss was interested, but only gave it a lick
It was fantastic; sun, hardly any wind, good company. The fish thought so too, because they stayed away in droves! According to one of my friends, if you catch one mackerel, there are sure to be many to follow. Not today though. We did get some fish in the end though, so we didn't come away empty-handed. 

The gulls however, gobbled up the heads and such whole!
After the fishing part was done, I needed to gut and filet the critters. Last year I did that and in the end over half of good meat went in the bin. So, this year I got a lesson in how to gut and filet a fish. Then we fried some of them and yes, we ate them as well. Yummy!!

I came away from today with several more fish, two bags of redcurrants and a load of rhubarb. Now, about those raspberries...

9 comments:

  1. Hari om
    Nothing beats freshest of fresh produce! Could do with some of your weather over here though... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always tastes so much better, even food that is not your favourite!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely adventure! And delicious too! Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, and today I found that the raspberries weren't quite done yet. Another week or so...

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a good decision!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Hope you had the sun block on! The cooked fish looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was covered! Even the tips of my ears were done. Unfortunately I still missed a few spots, but a bit of aloe vera aftersun...

      Delete
  5. I am a catch and release kinda person. I could never clean one!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!