Monday 23 May 2016

Tri-Mara

I'm running! And winning!!
I had my first real training today as sanctioned and advised by the physiotherapist. I saw her on Friday and once she had the lay of the land (or the aches and pains of me), she advised me to take it easy, especially in the beginning. 

She told me that for the first two to three weeks I should do most of my training indoors, ie at the gym and then we would evaluate and see how I should continue. I try to cycle to work every day, and that was good, but a big event coming up in a few weeks was a decided NO! from her. Mind you, it is about 70 km (I think you can do half as well), but that would still be over ten times what I do now. So, no. 

Apart from the gym however, I am supposed to go outside at least once a week and do a proper walk. Like the one we did last week to Mount Hodna. There is a big nature area quite close by and there are plenty of walks I could be doing there. I have done several of them before, but they are always nice to do again. Especially if my condition is on the up.

The physio did suggest to me to keep a log of what I did at the gym. Also, so she could keep tabs on me. So as not to bore the living daylights out of any of my faithful readers, I started a new blog. Called Tri-Mara. A blog where I tell exactly what's what. The whats, wheres, hows and how longs. Oh, and the how much, once a week. It should be going down. I hope. 

If you are interested, the only thing you need to do is to click on the little link all the way at the top at the right. The one that says Tri-Mara. And you will come to an absolute boring blog. Well, it is now, but it should be getting a bit more interesting after a while. 

I will of course still be telling you about my achievements along the way, but at least the boring "I did 769 meters on a rowing machine today" will not be happening here!

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry she said no but it is a good idea to go a little slower. Too much too soon will just burn you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A physiotherapist will help keep you healthy during this process. Smart move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be checking up on me and seeing that I don't overdo it or perhaps push myself a bit further.

      Delete
  3. So maybe next year? My PT warned me not to overdo just because the leg was feeling stronger. Work a day, rest a day. Will be checking in on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I would rather walk. Or hike. Much more fun I think.

      Delete
  4. Crikey Mara ...... I'm interested. I'm going the whole way with you on this one ..... boring or not!! Taking it easy is a good idea ...... in the beginning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have noticed a little progress already. I didn't go below second gear today! Although on the way back after work I took it reeeeeal easy!

      Delete
  5. Good for you. It will be interesting to see how you progress. best of luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    One step at a time and all that old wifey stuff... go for it gal!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I really need to push myself to go to the gym, but once I am there, I am okay. But the one step is definitely something in my mind!

      Delete
  7. Tri-Mara! I love that name! I'm looking forward to keeping up with all your progress! I log my walking miles into a website called dailymile.com, and it does help keep me motivated when I see those miles adding up.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!