Monday 12 October 2015

Inspired food

Pumpkin soup and bread and butter. Mmmmm
I love cooking and lately I have actually been doing a lot of it. Simple things mind, like boiled potatoes and cabbage and stuff. Last week I made a vegetable soup à la home, which tasted okay, probably a bit too salty. Although some extra water will certainly deal with that, making it a good soup like I used to have when living back home.

I also made a red cabbage 'pie' a week or two ago. It was gorgeous! I still have two more portions frozen, but I now know what to get to make it perfect. Basically it's small bits of (leftover) meat, ie beef or lamb, apple compote or apple mash, red cabbage and potato mash. All in layers in a sturdy oven dish and put for 45 minutes in the oven. 

I won't be going hungry soon!!
And then yesterday I made another dish from scratch. Something I had never thought I would do. Another soup. I am not really a soup person, but this pumpkin soup was so tasty when I tasted it over at Yamini's last year, I wanted to try it for myself. I had a bit of trouble slaughtering the pumpkin, but I got there in the end. I thought I had cumin, but I didn't. I might have put just a tad too much pepper in, but the result was absolutely yummmmm! With some thick slices of bread and butter I had a very enjoyable lunch. I have one portion left for today and another two go into the freezer. 

I wonder what culinary delights lay in store for me this week...

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh my word, that is a well-stocked freezer!!! You Go Gal!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For about 10 days I think. Mind you, if the electricity goes off and stays off, I might have to eat everything at once!!

      Delete
  2. I detect a chef in the making. Have you watched the Great British Bake Off? It seems everyone is into baking cakes here except for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup look yummy. You know cumin is one of my favorite spices. I like what you have in the freezer. Way to go Mara. I've been cooking more lately and tonight are stuffed colored peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mommy loves fall soups and pumpkin is one of her favorites!!


    Ziggy Out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A local restaurant serves a fantastic butternut squash soup. Your pumpkin soup looks even better. Now I have to go get a pumpkin. Your fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologise sincerely! And hope that your pumpkin will be a little bit easier to slaughter than mine was!!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!