Wednesday 1 July 2015

Cake, sweets and flowers

As it was my birthday yesterday and was asked by a friend whether at what time the apple pie was going to be ready, I decided to make apple pie and invite some people. But when I wanted to start on the apple pie, I found I had lost the recipe! Oh my. Fortunately it had come off the great interweb, so off I went to search. Well, I found a lot of apple pie recipes, but not 'my' recipe. 

In the end though, I found an ordinary apple pie recipe and adjusted the filling to what I remembered. And it worked beautifully. The cake was done a bit later than planned, but when it was finally ready to eat (only a few degrees below too hot), it was a gorgeous cake. I had used peaches as well and it was yummy!

Two friends came by to help eat the cake and both came with gifts. One gave me sweets and chocolate in the most adorable tin. The other friend was going to get me flowers and ended up getting me a ...

It's huge! And heavy as well!
Watermelon? Well, we had a good laugh over that and dug into the cake. More than half was gone by the time they left and they both took a piece home as well, to eat at work to make the other colleagues jealous!

It was a good birthday. 

14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...and a yummy one!!! Glad you had company. hugs, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only tasted the cake so far, not the watermelon. But I think it's going to taste wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Sounds a fun time. Watermelon? An in joke maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARA.
    YOUR PIE LOOKS SCRUMPTIOUS!
    I HOPE MS OSWIN AND BRON GAVE YOU LOTS OF LOVE TOO
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes self invented recipes are better as if you follow exactly the recipe ! I never used recipes, I just tried to do the same and it went well. At least the guests didn't dare to say the opposite !

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH BOY HOWDY.... a Wally Melon... now THAT is actually a very TASTEFUL Pressie. We like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I glad it was a happy one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crikey that apple pie looks GREAT!! I'd sure like to try some of that. And you got sweets and choccies and a water melon. How good was that? Your friends sound nice. Did you take those pictures with your new camera?? What's it's name? Aunty called her camera Fudge. Weird, aye?? Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you want to try some of it, you will have to make it yourself, because I ate the remainder yesterday. Yummmmmmy. I think I will put the recipe on my blog sometime this or next week.

      I did actually take those photos (and to be honest, the ones from Saturday onwards) with my new camera. Miss Oswin and Brom were so excited they couldn't wait any longer to give it to me! I didn't give the new camera a name though, I hadn't even given the other one a name.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birfday! Our mom would prefer apple pie over cake any day!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now, what kind of cake are we talking about here, because there are some really nice cakes out there as well! But 'my' apple pie is delicious and my visitors loved it as well. In fact, one of them only saw the word apple pie in a text message I sent her and knew it was the best way to finish a day!

      Delete
  9. You should start a Pinterest page to save your favorite recipes off the internet. I love the tin with the candies inside and watermelon is very good for you! Glad you had a nice celebration......

    ReplyDelete
  10. So June 30 is your birthday? That is our wedding anniversary, too! Looks like you had a good time sharing with friends! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, June 30th is my birthday. Happy belated wedding anniversary to you as well!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!