Wednesday 29 April 2015

The joy of it all

As you may know if you've read this blog for more than one year, I have a guilty pleasure regarding the Eurovision Song Contest. I love it. I have all the songs since it first started in 1956. One of the main reasons I bought my iPod was to be able to have all my Eurovision songs together with all my other songs in one place.

Last week this year's cd arrived. On first hearing some of the numbers my heart sank. They all sounded the same. Not an original thought between them. Boring boring boring. And then I listened properly and found there were definitely some blergh numbers, but there were some really good and some very catchy numbers in there as well! I have now listened to them all and I have several favourites: Armenia, the Czech Republic, Italy. My two biggest favourites however are France with a very thoughtful number and Israel which has a silly but extremely catchy number. 

Of course me having favourites doesn't mean a thing. The contest is a live contest and people can mess it up big time! Case in point the number above, which was the British entry from a few years back. It sounds fine on the cd. Not winner material, but fine enough. And then they took to the stage and absolutely butchered it. Needless to say it ended last with 0 points!

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Phew..... I am soooooo glad you said that bit at the end cuz I was tearing my ears off at this tragedy...!!!!!! not a single note sung, never mind in tune.....


    and now you have advanced knowledge. Not fair! &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, ears were bleeding all over Europe that night! I did feel sorry for them though, they tried so hard.

      Delete
  2. All the songs since 1956, that's amazing! That must be very sad to actually be good and then ruin it when it counts. I watch American Idol and The Voice. Sometimes they are just off......

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really did sound bad that night! Wow. Not good at all!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!