Saturday 21 February 2015

Out and about

The doctor had given me a sick note to hand in to the relevant people. Which meant that on Tuesday me and my mum had to make our way to the local sick pay office. Now, my mum is not a confident driver and if she could have avoided it, she would have. But she couldn't, so she had to drive. All of three miles in an unknown car, on windy and narrow lanes and with a patient beside her. And she managed great! I was so proud of her!!

First we drove to the school where we parked, because from there we would take the bus, avoiding traffic. After the bus there would be a bit more walking to get to the building we had to be. Then walking to the pharmacy and to the shop and then back to the busstop to go back home. By the time I got home I was feeling it.

The next day (Wednesday, so a week after surgery) I needed to get my hormone injection, which meant a visit to the pharmacy to pick up said injection and then to the doctor's office. This time I was picked up by a former colleague and taken home again. So, not much walking. 

That evening however, I had a bit of a mishap. We had a visitor and all of a sudden, after taking a bit too big of a sip of tea, I had to thrust my cup in the visitor's hand, get up fast and spit out the tea and have a coughing fit. Not good for somebody with an incision in her stomach! After I got back in my seat, I felt some wetness, but thought it might have been some spilt tea. The visitor left and I had a look. I called back the visitor to drive us to the doctor's because it wasn't as it should have been. 

At the emergency doctor's office they took off the bandage and had a look. The wound was nice and clean, but there was some wound fluid coming through. And the blood test they took showed there was the beginning of an infection there as well! They redressed it and then presribed a course of antibiotics. More pills!

Fortunately since then it hasn't become worse. I now have the means to clean the dressing myself, although my mum is doing it as long as she is here, because that is just easier. Better access and all that. I have taken it a lot easier and have been trying to sleep on my back more instead of on the side. But an occasional trip to the shop is not to be sniffed at either. Because even though I live in a beautiful spot, seeing the same thing day in day out can get a bit too much!

The pain is however decreasing and my mobility is on the up. Not ready just yet for a big hike, but definitely better than I thought. Which is good, since my mum is leaving today and I will have to fend for myself! Oh, and for Oswin as well. 

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    NO HIKING!!! (Just thought I would get that in.)

    and hah! Oswin and the heater have found each other. Watch you don't mistake her for a rug...

    I say again...NO HIKING!!!... Safe journey, Mara's mum... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you: no hiking! Wouldn't dream of it. Besides not really being able to do so!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you overdid it a little bit but it was actually a good thing that you ended up seeing a doctor and caught that infection early on! Continue on your road to recovery and take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the setback. I hope things go smoothly on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how overdoing things can lead to the discovery of something as important as an infection in the incision site. I agree with Debby, and of course I agree with Yam because nobody wants a Scotswoman angry with her. Love and hugs, and sympathetic noises from Lindy, who has also been sick but hasn't had her surgery yet. Can't until the infection goes away. Sort of opposite to your situation, but similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like you are doing amazingly well for someone who just had major surgery. So glad you have had help so far and that you are feeling stronger. Take care of yourself and don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing things you shouldn't ! Avoid too much walking, an infection is something serious, so calm down, even if it's hard !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my. An infection and more antibiotics. Do take care and thanks for taking times to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not as if I have much else to do!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!