Monday 18 February 2013

The Time of my Life

It has been a long time since I last read a book. Of course that isn't entirely true: I have read plenty of books, but most books I read were re-reads of books I had already read and which I like so much I read them again (and will again at some future date)! But when I found this book in a bookshop here in Norway, I had to buy it, since it is by one of my favourite authors: Cecelia Ahern.

The blurb: Are you taking your life for granted? Lucy Silchester is. She's busied herself with other things: friends' lives, work issues, her deteriorating car, that kind of thing. But she's stuck in a rut - and deluding everyone. Only Lucy knows the real truth.

Time for a wake-up call - a meeting with life. And life turns out to be a kindly, rather run-down man in an old suit, who is determined to change things - and won't let Lucy off the hook.

Sometimes we all need to make time for our life...

My verdict: I started reading this at work. In the five minutes I was waiting at a bus stop I would pull this out and read a further two/three pages. And yet it took me less than 2 weeks to read the whole book. Because it is well written and I wanted to know what happened in the end and finished it in bed. Of course I already knew that (it is a romantic novel after all), but there were some spanners in the works. At times I did feel I wanted to give the heroin a good kick up her backside, but then again: Life was there to do that for me!

Cecilia Ahern has a certain way of writing. One of her books made it to film (PS I love you) and it sort of encapsulates the way she writes: ordinary stuff with ordinary people and then something extraordinary comes along. In the form of letters from a loved one after he has passed away, or your own life turning up at the door and not being happy about you! 

It may not be literature, it may not be something that sticks in your mind for a long time to come. But it is a good read for a lazy afternoon. Thumbs up!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, don't know this book. Since a few years my taste went into crime stories ! I only can read in bed or at the beach nowhere else ! I couldn't fall asleep without reading !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. I did love the movie PS I Love You!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!