Friday 1 February 2013

Let them eat cake!

Another 'folly' by a French queen: small farm like buildings
so she could pretend to farm!
According to quite a few there was a French queen who said those exact words, when she was told that the peasants didn't have any (money for) bread. Of course she never did. It might have been brioche or something like it, but then again, she would never have said them in English! However, I am not talking about some French queen or other, but about my current employer. Because it could have been a tagline for them: Let them eat cake!

I have worked for Connexxion Tours in the Netherlands for over 13 years. And in that time I may have had about 10 pieces of cake. Mainly when there was someone who 'celebrated' having worked for the company for 25 years or so. Since my move to Norway though, I have eaten a lot of cake. In the week leading up to Christmas there was cake nearly every day. Sometimes three different ones on the same day!! Yesterday there was cake because two colleagues hadn't been sick for 3 months and had won travel vouchers. Today there was cake because a colleague had bought herself a new place. 

My own meringue cake. My absolute favourite!
There are probably loads of other reasons to think of to provide the drivers with cake. Sometimes by outside companies (like the Christmas cakes), other times by colleagues. And I have just realised that playing badminton isn't just a joy, it's a necessity! Otherwise I would be quite round in no time. 

By the way: the cakes here are really quite nice. So far I have had Queen's cake (with meringue, mmmmm), sour milk cake, some sort of cream cake and several more. Yummy...

5 comments:

  1. Just like a teacher's life!

    ;-)

    (That cake of yours looks yummie!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing there are lots of hills to run up and where you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your working at the right place. Who doesn't like cake?

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!