Friday 7 December 2012

Blowing my own horn

When I first started learning Norwegian just over a year ago, I just thought it was one long word that sounded remarkably like huffuknuffuduffu. Or something similar. It certainly didn't sound like a proper language to my ears. And then I started to listen to the radio and actually recognised a word. And another and another. I got (sort of) the hang of the easier grammar and managed to make small easy sentences. 

I then took a class in February/March: four days of intensive training. I went to Norway in April and tried my best to speak Norwegian. I kept on doing my correspondence course (without the correspondence by the way) while at work and in July/August I did another four days of intensive training, after which I went to Norway again. But since then: nothing. 

Not completely nothing of course, I kept reading the diaries of Roald Amundsen and I read the subtitles of any programme available with Norwegian subtitles. But I didn't study anymore. Not the best thing to do of course, but there you have it. 

I have been here little over a week now and I do get complimented a lot on my Norwegian knowledge. I notice that I understand more and more, although only in conversation towards me and not in general. And the main reason for that is the dialect here. They definitely don't speak the way I have been taught. Then again, I knew that before coming! The funny thing is though, some of the words they use over here, sound a lot more like the Dutch words than the original Norwegian words!

Anyway, just blowing my own horn here, but I am getting along better and better. I spoke Norwegian with Norwegians today. As well as with a Dutch person, a Polish person and a 50% Afghani person! Toot toot!! 

5 comments:

  1. Toot toot from us, too. (Dick is away on business, so it's just the two of us.)
    Luv, Kay and Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have both talent and determination. I started an online French course, very briefly, but me ears don't work so well, and I couldn't make out the words too well. So, for me, that ship has sailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be very proud of yourself! I only speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely should be tooting your own horn! That's wonderful! I would love to learn how to speak Polish. I live in a large Polish community, and hear it often without knowing what they are saying. I've asked my Polish friend to teach me...I should get serious about it!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!