Tuesday 13 November 2012

I remember

I was a bit older than this though!
It's strange how a memory from someone who lives on the other side of the pond brings back memories to me, but that is what happened this morning as I read Ginny Marie's blog. It wasn't as if her memories mirrored mine a great deal. As a matter of fact, there is not much similarity between them. 

When I was young and we were visiting my maternal grandparents, my brother and I would on occasion take a tour of the nearby town. My grandparents lived near the river Lek and adjacent to the village in which they lived was a small town called Nieuwpoort (not to be confused with the 'Battle of Nieuwpoort' of 1600, that one was in what is now Belgium). Nieuwpoort was and still is a small fortress town with bastions in a sort of star shape around the center of the town.

The tour we would take would lead us all around, since we would follow the fortifications and bastions all around. You could walk on top of them and then had a nice view over the town and its surroundings. After a few hours we would make our way back to my grandparents' house. 

It's not a big memory, it's not something that really stands out as very important, but it was of a time when I was young and me and my brother would do more together.

1 comment:

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!