Tuesday 8 May 2012

Free

Fltr: Noordoostpolder, Netherlands, United States,
Great Britain, Canada, Australia and Poland
As you will probably know the Netherlands was neutral during WWII, but that didn't last long: the Germans invaded anyway and occupied our country within a week in May 1940. It took until May 1945 before we were liberated again. The town my parents live in was liberated by one single Canadian: Leo Major (the rest of his outfit followed soon after). The town I live in did exist, although there were only a few baracks and streets yet. This area was also liberated by the Canadians.

Last Saturday was Liberation Day in the Netherlands. A day to celebrate the freedom we've had for 67 years now. And I spent part of it on the fun fair that was being held in the center of town. Not on my own: with my friend and her two children! We went on several rides and even on the bumper cars, but the biggest favourite with the two children (they are 5 and 7) was the simple children's merry-go-round.
Of course we also had to get some French Fries with mayonaise (that's the way we Dutch eat it!), Sugar Spider and Oliebollen before heading home where I would make pancakes. Sugar and fat! The perfect day!

3 comments:

  1. I once had a Belgian exchange student talk to my class. Among other things he told us that they eat fries with mayo but that the mayo is different than our. There is a faint chime in my head telling me that I've probably said this once before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell youthat in Germany the people were also happy that the war was over. I very well remember the after war, we were under American occupation, which was quiet good, the poor once who got the Russians that was awful ! My father's brother was 15 when he became a prisoner of war and he came back home when he was 25, he was in Siberia ! What a nice youth !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes sounds like a wonderful day of celebration and yummy sweets! So glad you got to share the day with your friend and her children.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!