Friday 12 November 2010

November 3rd, 854

"I got a diary for my birthday last month, but I didn't know what to write in it, so I waited until I knew. Louis said I should write about myself and I think that's a good idea.

I am Judith and I am ten years old en I live with my Mum Ermentrude and my Dad Charles and my little brother Louis. He is sick a lot and he stutters, but I like him. Dad is away a lot to fight and then Louis and I can play a bit more. When he is home we have to study a lot. I have a little cat called Pippin and Louis has a dog that is black and white."

This is a fictional diary of a factual person: Judith of West-Francia. She is one of my foremothers.

The portrait is an impression by German artist Laumee Fries. You can find more of her work here.

10 comments:

  1. That's great, Mara, I hope you continue.
    Luv, K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay's right. Very cool. Makes history all the more interesting when you can relate family to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I mistaken or was that picture not there when I commented 25 minutes ago?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely thing to embark on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting story. I went over and read the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so cool that you have found those things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great and interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your little historical cameos - loved the photo of the White Cliffs of Dover

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!