Sunday 25 October 2009

Food, glorious food


I saw this the other day on Baino's Banter, a blog I had never read before (but will go to again), but this sounded to good to pass up on.

1. What's your number 1 comfort food?
I don't really have a comfort food, at least not one that stands out. I do love sweet food though, so I will tend towards the chocolate/dessert/sweet end of the food spectrum!

2. If you were stranded on a dessert island, what food would you want to have with you to survive on?
Anything that doesn't tickle too much when swallowing it like bugs and beetles...

3. What are your signature dishes? (What are you famous for making?)
Lasagne, although it's been a long time since I last made it. It takes me three to four hours and I make everything: from the sauce to the lasagne leaves. I will make it soon again.

4. It's Friday night, you don't know what to cook, what do you opt for?
Depending on what's in the cupboard I can go for anything from a fried egg to minute-noodles, from semolina pudding to pancakes.

5. What's your ultimate food weakness?
Cinnamon Icecream. Mmmm, lovely!

6. What food can you soooooo not eat?
Mushrooms! They are so gross! They slither in your throat, they smell awful, they are just yuck!

7. You need a drink, you grab a ...?
Milk. In order for my nails to stay healthy and strong, I need at least one glass of milk a day. During the summer I have to remind myself though to drink enough water as well, otherwise I will get urinary infections (or is that too much information?).

8. What's the most decadent dish you ever had?
Oysters probably, although I think they are highly overrated: either they are salty or they are sour because of the lemon. Either way I don't like them one bit.

9. What's your favourite type of food?
Simple one-dish meals like stews. Hearty and heartwarming.

10. Favourite dish?
Cinnamon ice-cream. Oooohhh...

11. If your partner could take you to any restaurant, where would you go?
Purely on location: there is a restaurant quite close to where I live that is built in a former watertower. While dining the top level slowly revolves and you have to eat to a certain speed in order to get every course, because the doors from the kitchen don't revolve with the rest! On taste? I don't really have a favourite restaurant, probably due to the fact I have to eat out a lot due to my job. I would prefer him cooking for me, provided he would serve a fantastic dessert of course!

12. Soup or salad?
Not a big fan of either really. It also depends on what type of soup/salad. During the winter months I will eat Snert (or Pea Soup), a Dutch dish consisting of peas, potatoes, sausage, bacon, meat, turnip, carrot and other hardy vegetables. It's accompanied by a thin slice of rye bread covered with another type of bacon. If your spoon cannot stay upright in the soup, the soup is not well made!

13. Buffet, take-out or sit-down?
If I go to a restaurant I don't want to make dinner, I don't want to serve dinner and I definitely don't want to do the washing-up! So, no question: Sit-down!

14. What's the most impressive meal you ever made?
When I still lived at home aged 17 or so, my parents were out for the day. I decided to cook them dinner and got all the ingredients (boxes etc) to make a nice Chinese meal. I wrote everything out before hand, so I would be on time with everything and when my parents and sister came home there was a complete Chinese meal waiting for them. It tasted really good and my parents were very pleased as well!

15. Do you consider yourself a good cook?
I am decent enough. I have never poisoned anyone (yet). I am alright in the easier dishes, but if I were to apply myself, I might even be able to prepare harder dishes.

16. Do you know what vichyssoise is?
I think it's a fish soup. But, for the sake of this, I will look it up as well, just so I can see I am right. Ah, no, it's not. So my answer is: no, I don't know what a vichyssoise is!

17. Who's your favourite TV-cook?
I don't really have one. Although Ainsley Harriot (yes, he's a cook)... Yep, Ainsley Harriot!

18. Can you name at least three famous cooking personalities?
Apart from the above? James Martin (great face), Jamie Oliver (annoying little man), Two hairy bikers, Nigella Lawson. Does it in any way show I watch a lot of British food programs?

19. Homemade or homemade from a box?
Hm, tough one. Homemade. Yes, definitely, homemade. Although muffins, cookies and the like are perfectly homemade from a box as well. Oh, it's a toss-up. Either can be really good!

20. Tag three people to reveal all...
If you feel a calling right now to do this little questionaire: please do so. If not: still the best of friends (as we would say in the Netherlands)

1 comment:

  1. Great answers. So does the ice cream come that way or do you put it on? I use to like watching Jamie Oliver. I make a good lasagne but haven't made it in awhile. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!